Winter is coming. And by winter, I mean the final season of Game of Thrones. To prepare myself for this momentous final season, I am re-watching the show from the start because apparently, I like to torture myself. So, I decided to do summaries of my thoughts, feelings, and general (and sometimes wine-drunk) musings of each season.
It should go without saying, but there are SPOILERS FOR GAME OF THRONES BELOW! I keep it mostly to the first season but there are vague spoilers for the rest of the seasons that could be gathered from stuff I say.
Season 1: Where we meet and become emotionally attached to a whole bunch of people who will eventually die
Wow. I did not think this would be so hard to watch. It physically hurts seeing all the Starks happy and healthy together. Well, all happy except Catelyn, who I want to smack every time she is rude to Jon. If there is one thing Season 1 of GOT has taught me its that SECRETS ARE BAD AND LEAD TO EVERYONE DYING. Also, if you tell someone you’ll talk to them about something important later, you are basically going to die or not be seen for five seasons. My favorite Stark is still Arya, though I appreciate Sansa so much more this time through. And I still die on the inside when Jon gives Arya her sword.
The Lannisters are still my most hated house, but I have grudging respect for the main Lannisters. I can’t help it. Tyrion will always be the only Lannister I actually LIKE, but Jamie, Cersei, and Tywin are all so damn good at what they do. Tyrion though…what I wouldn’t give to party with that guy. Joffery is still physically and emotionally painful to watch but at least this time through I know what his fate holds for him, so I have something to look forward to. It’s also very interesting to see early Lancel and the abuse he goes through at the hands of the king and his family. That poor boy never had a chance.
And then there is Peytr “Littlefinger” Baelish and Varys. These two, I swear. I started making episode notes stating with the 4th episode and every time these two started trading words I wrote “I could watch these two ALL DAY.” They are so similar in their abilities to scheme and maneuver, but they do so for completely different reasons. Peytr does all he does for himself, while Varys, I believe, truly wants peace in the realm. Whenever either of these two are on the screen, and particularly when they are together, I am always rapt in attention.
I almost didn’t add a little paragraph about the Night’s Watch. I guess I forgot about them like much of Westeros does. Which is a BIG PROBLEM. Wildings and wights and White Walkers, OH MY! Everyone always focuses on the political scheming and shenanigans throughout Westeros, but all the while the true threat is slowly growing in the North. This show does a really good job at the slow build terror. Some of it isn’t exactly subtle, but it feels that way because the house drama overshadows everything. Also, side note from the wall: Jon is such a whiny baby boy. His luscious locks and broody demeanor must have erased the whining from my memory.
Finally, there is Danerys. Look, I’m going to say right now that she is not my favorite character. *waits for the collective gasps of shock and disbelief to die down* Y’all, she is boring AF for the most part in the books and that sort of tainted her character for me. She has her moments, but there is just something about her that does not click for me. BUT, I was so invested in her beginnings during this rewatch. Thinking of all she goes through and where she is now in the newer seasons…it sorta blows my mind. The ending of Season 1, with Dany and her baby dragons, still stands as one of the better final scenes of a season, not only in Game of Thrones, but television in general. Heck, just writing about it gave me a little wave of goosebumps.
General Notes from Episode 4-10
(because I wasn’t taking notes for eps 1-3)
- Ser Barrister is a battle cinnamon roll.
- I forgot that Bronn comes into the story so early. I love his bromance with Tyrion.
- I’m sorry, but the Vale is the best castle in all of Westeros. Introvert’s dream.
- I need a book of life lessons from Syrio Forrel
- Tyrion confessing to Lyssa is peak Tyrion.
- I miss Dany’s strange moments where she stares into the distance and says shit like “He is no dragon. A dragon does not burn.” I want creepy Dany back.
- Rob telling Bran he’ll write him letters makes me sad.
- Seriously, could no one at Winterfell give Osha a damn brush for her hair?
- Dany is just as headstrong and annoying as Jon is…
- So…Bronn says he’s been north of the Wall for work. Do we ever get more info about this? I don’t remember but I am suddenly very interested in this…
- Rickon makes me sad. That boy never had a chance.
- Anyone else see the Flayed Man banner at Rob’s camp and get HELLA MAD?
- “I won’t do any treason!” Oh poor, sweet Sansa. But we get glimmers of the steel in her soul: “Or maybe he’ll give me yours.” (she still annoys the fuck out of me in Season 1 & 2 though)
- “KING IN THE NORTH!” *sigh*
- One of the few moments I like Catelyn is when she punches Jamie.
- Lord Mormont drinks beer in the morning. I love this guy.
- BABY DRAGONS!
- Tyrion slapping Joffrey. I rewatched that scene at least 3 times before I could let the episode continue.
- Jon giving Arya her sword. (BRB crying forever)
- Every scene with Gendry
- King Robert and Cersei laughing with each other when he says it’s their marriage that holds the realm together
Most Painful or Cringeworthy Moments:
- Rob and Jon hugging goodbye
- That sexposition scene with Littlefinger (you know the scene I’m talking about)
- Basically any scene with Lysa Arryn
- Arya throwing a rock at Nymeria to make her leave (oh heck, I’m tearing up just thinking about it)
- When Littlefinger convinces Ned to come with him to talk to a whore, when instead he should have been leaving King’s landing with his daughters. *sigh* if only…
- “I did warn you not to trust me.”
Character I’d Bring back: LADY!
Characters I’d murder: Joffrey (always), Alliser Thorne, The Mountain
Who I have an inappropriate crush on: Peytr Baelish (can I point out: BAE-lish). I KNOW, okay? I know this is such a bad crush, but I cannot help it. Aidan Gillen is a fox and he plays Littlefinger so damn well. I want to be his partner in schemes ¯_(ツ)_/¯
Who I want on the Iron Throne as of right now: hard tie between Tyrion and Littlefinger (what? Sometimes I just want to watch the world burn)