Happy Tuesday, my dear bookish people! The theme for today’s Top Ten Tuesday (Hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl) is Things That Make Me Pick Up a Book. So I’ll be hitting you with my top ten book synopsis trigger words/phrases. Basically the words in a synopsis that’ll make me put a book into my cart IMMEDIATELY.
- Grumpy – Does your book have a grumpy side kick and/or main character? Or even a grumpy pet cat? Then I’m buying it.
- Assassin – If there are people being paid to kill other people, particularly in a fantasy setting, then I am happy.
- Magical school/training – I blame Hogwarts for my love of magic schools.
- Betrayal – Especially if it’s touted as heartbreaking betrayal.
- Rag tag crew – Or crew of misfits. Or crew thrown together that hates each other. Well, it is usually better written than that in a book synopsis, but you get the point.
- Hate to love – GIMMIE ALL THE ENEMIES TO LOVERS PLEASE AND THANK YOU.
- “Who can they trust?” – I don’t know, but I sure as heck want to find out.
- Supernatural threat – The Buffy and Supernatural fan girl can’t walk away from books with this.
- Revenge – Hello, my name is Kibby Montoya. Someone killed your father. And I want to read about it.
- Tragic – What can I say? I like when a book makes me ugly cry.
What words or phrases make you want to buy a book?