Well, April was certainly a month. All I can think about is Game of Thrones and Avengers: Endgame. But, in between my love affairs with those pop culture behemoths, I read a few books. And I liked…most of them.
- DEV1AT3 (LIFEL1K3 #2) by Jay Kristoff – 5 stars – This is my one true 5 star of the month. I’ll have a review posted soon, but for now, y’all need to go pre-order this book.
- Scythe by Neal Shusterman – 4.5 stars – Holy heck, I loved this book so much! It had been sitting on my shelves for aaaaaaaages until one of my #booksta besties convinced me to buddy read it with her (it was a reread for her). The world in this one is super interesting to me because I am fascinated with immortality/extended life. Full review is here.
- Aurora Rising by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff – 4.5 stars – Look, I’m just as surprised as everyone else that I didn’t give AR a 5 star. It really boils down to GIVE ME MORE ZILA! You can read my full review here.
- Skyward by Brandon Sanderson – 4.5 stars – I’m writing my review for this on Thursday and I hope I can articulate my thoughts on it by then. For now, I’ll just say that M-Bot is a blessing to my reading life.
- The Fellowship of the Ring by JRR Tolkien (reread) – 4 stars – I’m just taking the rating from when I originally read this one. I didn’t enjoy it as much this time around, though that may be because I was on a reading schedule and had to read it quickly. You don’t read Tolkien quickly. Though, listening to the audiobook narrator sing the song a 2x speed was particularly amusing.
The Not So Good
- Fire and Heist by Sarah Beth Durst – 3 stars – So, 3 stars isn’t necessarily bad, but I just felt weird putting this one up in “The Good”. I’m writing my review for this one later this week, so I can explain myself then. But this is basically a contemporary book that happens to have were-dragons (or wyverns. I forget the explanation about the difference or lack thereof…).
- The Crown’s Fate (The Crown’s Game #2) by Evelyn Skye – 2.75 stars – This was such a disappointment for me. It lacked the spark that I loved so much in The Crown’s Game. You can read my full review of both books here.
- Once and Future by Amy Rose Capetta and Cori McCarthy – 2.5 stars – *sigh* I wanted to like this one so much more than I did. It’s hard for me to summarize my feelings on this book here so I recommend checking out my review because it explains it so much better. You can read my full review here.
- The Fever King by Victoria Lee – DNF – This one wasn’t a DNF because it was bad. It’s a DNF because I simply identified that I was in the wrong mood for it and if I forced myself to keep reading I’d hate it. I am giving this book another shot later in the year because it just sounds way too cool to not read eventually.
So, I’m terrible at sticking to planned TBRs but I have a few books that are definites because I’m reading them with reading groups.
- Legendary (Caraval #2) by Stephanie Garber – This is the one book that is carrying over from April into May. I’m in the middle of a buddy read for it right now and I plan to have it done before May 7th. I am lucky enough to live in the same city as Stephanie Garber, so I’ll be going to the Launch Party.
- The Alloy of Law (Mistborn Era 2) by Brandon Sanderson – My Sanderson reading group has been suffering through me chanting “ERA 2 ERA 2 ERA 2” every time the topic comes up in our chat since we formed last year. To say I am excited to jump back into Era 2 would be a VAST understatement. This’ll be the 3 time I’ve read them. I can’t wait to be back with Wax and Wayne and Steris and Marasi!
- Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson – This is a Sanderson that I’m reading outside of my Sanderson group, but with someone from my Sanderson group…that’s too much Sanderson in one sentence.
- Twilight by Stephanie Meyer – STOP JUDGING ME! A group of my booksta peoples decided to reread this, and I couldn’t say no. I need the cheesy vampire romance.
I’m also really, really hoping to get to the following books in May:
- Soul of the Sword by Julie Kagawa
- The Devouring Gray by Christine Lynn Herman
- Beyond the Black Door by A. M. Strickland
- The Bone Houses by Emily Lloyd-Jones
How was your reading this month? What books are you hoping to read in May?