Last week we talked about favorite books to recommend to people but this weeks its all about the books that were recommended to you that became favorites. Reading books that were recommended to you can always be a hit or miss thing. I’m a Hufflepuff, so it physically hurts me when I end up not liking a recommend book that a friend has loved. I’ve been really lucky with liking most of the books that friends have recommended and here are a few of the hardcore favorites that I’ve had of the last few years.
Nevernight by Jay Kristoff (and subsequently, all of Kristoff’s books) – While I can generally thank/blame #bookstagram for my Kristoff love, the loudest Kristoff advocate was Delara aka @bookwnoname. She is the stabbiest of my book friends and always has fantastic recs, but her gently nudging towards Kristoff led me to finding one of my all time favorite series (The Illuminae Files) and a new favorite author. For that I will always be thankful.
Mistborn Era 2 by Brandon Sanderson – Technically, this recommendation came from a string of Sanderson recs by my friend Davis from Davis (his name is Davis and he lives in a town named Davis and no I don’t know why I felt the need to explain this). I started with Stormlight Archives, then moved on to the Mistborn trilogy. And like a good Mistborn fan, Davis made sure I read the Era 2 books, which are often overlooked. Look, I love all of Sanderson’s books, but the Era 2 books are my hard favorites. If I could only ever read one series from Sanderson , it’d be the Era 2 books. Heck, if I could only ever read one series out of all books, Era 2 would probably be it.
Red Rising by Pierce Brown – So this recommendation didn’t come to me from a friend, but from a Buzzfeed article of all things. I just remember clicking the article because it featured a photo of Pierce’s gorgeous AF blue eyes and the rest is history. So yes, I technically picked up this series because I thought Pierce was fine a heck, but whatever, because Red Rising is now one of my favorite Sci Fi series of all time. Sometimes it’s okay to judge a book by it’s author.
Scythe by Neal Shusterman – Okay, so really, I bought this book on my own, but it just sat on my shelves for ages without me picking it up. But at the behest of my booksta bestie Amy aka @theanimagusblack, I finally read it. And OMG! This book was so, so, so dang good! I was absolutely blown away and cannot wait to jump into the next book with Amy!
Okay, so, here’s the thing about me: I’m kind of garbage with reading books people recommend to me. I’ll go buy them…and then never read them because of the crippiling overwhelming sensation of owning 400+ unread books. But I have a few that have been recommended to me by friends that I’m sure will be future favorites:
- Terry Pratchett – Okay, so the ever so kind SE White sent me some of her Pratchett paperbacks and I am excited to crack into them. I’ve always heard good things about Pratchett, but I know I need to be in the right mood to enjoy them.
- The Seven Realms Series – I’ve had NUMEROUS booksta friend harass me about reading this series. Considering I’ve had book 1 for 5+ year, I should really start the series soon.
- Chaos Walking trilogy – Again, booksta friends have yelled about this series to me so much that I went and bought the whole trilogy. The series is on my “2019 TBR Definite” shelf on Goodreads, so hopefully I get to it this year!
- Space Opera by Catherynne M. Valente – This one was recommended to me by @bookishly.marie and I cannot WAIT TO READ IT! It sounds phenomenal.
- Death Gate Cycle series – I have @okamimars to thank for this one. Just the series name alone makes me think I’m gonna love it.
- Green Rider Series – Not only did @adabblingbibliophile recommend this one to me, she bought me book one! I’m looking forward to reading this one over summer.
Friday Favorites Posts from the Book Blogging Community: