Well, May was a month, wasn’t it? For one of the longer months it was painfully short. I’m not sure what happened in the time/space continuum that accelerated things so quickly, but I am now completely freaking out over the fact that it is JUNE and my best friend’s wedding is in less than 20 days and I’m not even sure what I’m going to be wearing yet. Pardon me while I go scream into the void…
May Reads & Haul
Books Read: 5
Even though I didn’t read as much as I had wanted to this month (AGAIN!), all the books I did read were phenomenal:
- Legendary (Caraval #2) by Stephanie Garber (4 Stars) – This was a left over book from last month. I am in love with Garber’s writing style, though I know it can be a bit too flowery for some. You can read my full review here.
- Soul of the Sword (Shadow of the Fox #2) by Julie Kagawa (5 Stars) – A fantastic sequel to Shadow of the Fox. I love this dark, whimsical story that is steeped in Japanese mythology! You can read my full review here.
- Steelheart (Reckoners #1) by Brandon Sanderson (4 Stars) – Sanderson’s unique take on super powered people. It lacked some of the good character building that I’ve come to expect from Sanderson, but I still thoroughly enjoyed the book and look forward to continuing the series. Full review here.
- The Alloy of Law (Mistborn Era 2 #1) by Brandon Sanderson (reread, 5 Stars) – I love this book more than life itself. I actually like the Era 2 Mistborn books better than the Original Trilogy. This is the hill I will die on.
- Thunderhead (Arc of the Scythe #2) by Neal Shusterman (5 stars) – OMG THIS BOOK WTF I’M STILL SCREAMING! I finished this book last night and I still cannot process it.
- Darkdawn (The Nevernight Chronicle #3) by Jay Kristoff (In Process) – I really wanted to try and finish this one up before the end of May but that just didn’t work out. I’m planning to finish it tonight, at which point you can probably find me curled up in a ball, cursing Kristoff’s name.
- A Darker Shade of Mage (Shade of Magic #1) by VE Schwab (reread, In Process) – I have been wanting to reread this series for ages and I just randomly decided to start it up a few days ago. The audiobook narrator is not my favorite (his Lila voice is AWFUL), but I just have to deal with him for book 1. Audiobook royalty, Michael Kramer and Kate Reading, are the narrators for books 2 and 3.
Books Acquired: I don’t want to talk about it…
June Anticipated TBR
I say anticipated because I never seem to be able to strictly stick to a TBR, no matter what I do.
- Finish Darkdawn and ADSOM from May
- Shadows of Self (Mistborn Era 2 #2) by Brandon Sanderson – Buddy read with my Sanderson Sisters
- My Plain Jane by Cynthia Hand, Jodi Meadows, Brodi Ashton – Buddy Read with @theanimagusblack (aka the awesome Amy)
- The Merciful Crow by Margaret Owen (ARC) – Buddy read with @okamimars (the wonderful Jessica)
- Wicked Fox by Kat Cho (ARC)
- The Bone Houses by Emily Lloyd-Jones (eARC)
Anything past these books is hopefully going to be strictly ARCs because I have suddenly realized that I’m behind in quite a few. I have to make a list of the ARCs I have and when they need to be read for me to get reviews out on time because I’ve been remiss in tracking that stuff lately.
I’m honestly not sure how I’m going to manage all this during June considering I’m working a minimum of 10 hours of overtime a week and I have to help with my friend’s upcoming nuptials. Maybe I’ll just stop sleeping. That sounds healthy, right?
What were your favorite reads from May? Do you have any books you are dying to read in June?