Before I get into the depths of my trope love, I wanted to let y’all know that the Friday Favorites list of topics has been updated through the rest of the YEAR! That’s right! I am a slacker no longer! Also, if you ever have an idea of a Friday Favorites topic you’d like to do, shoot me a message! I’ll add it to my list for next year and give you credit for the topic!
Okay, let’s talk tropes!
Ah, tropes. There are some we love and some we loathe, but they will always be around. I’ve got quite a list of beloved tropes so I’m not going to do examples for each. I may also be doing just a straight up list because I’m tired, I still need to do my meal prep for work tomorrow, and I also need to do the Friday Favorites page update that I mentioned in the opening of this post (I already have the prompts written, just gotta actually put them on the page) *nervous laughter*
- Older mentor/younger student romance (The Immortals Quartet by Tamora Pierce is one of my favorites for this one)
- The “Oh no, there is only one bed. Guess we are gonna have to share it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯” trope
- ENEMIES TO LOVERS
- AI learning humor through their human friend, snark ensues
- The Chosen One (I blame this on Buffy)
- Grumpy older character who is changed by the ward they didn’t originally want responsibility for (aka Mercurio from The Nevernight Chronicles)
- Amnesia (I can’t even remember the last time I saw this trope used…*bad-dum-tiss*)
- Literally all the vampire tropes
- Gruff lawman with a tragic past (Waxillium Ladrian from Mistborn Era 2)
- Opposites attract
- LET’S GO ON AN EPIC JOURNEY
- Ragtag crew of misfits (SIX OF CROWS!)
- Addiction to magic
- School with a mysterious mystery
- “I’m the villain in the story but I’m so dark and dreamy that you will love me even as I murder your favorites”
I’m sure I’m missing many that I love, but I feel like this is a sufficient list for tonight. Now, I just need an author to see this and write all these tropes into one perfect book.
What tropes do you love?